Tuesday, April 09, 2013
YMCA of Broward County Invites Kids and Parents to Come Play at Healthy Kids Day™, April 13
Register Early for Summer Camp at All Locations- Spots are Filling up now
BROWARD COUNTY, March 22, 2013 – On Saturday, April 13 2013, the 100+ Outreach and Family Center sites of the YMCA of Broward County invites kids and parents to make a “play date” at the YMCA Healthy Kids Day™. As the leading nonprofit for strengthening community, the Y holds Healthy Kids Day in hopes of bringing families together to play and learn healthier habits. Visit www.YMCABroward.org
Healthy Kids Day event will include fun active play and educational activities that will inspire kids to carry a spirit of learning and exploration throughout their summer, and give them the tools to keep growing and achieving all year long. Also, Mayors, Commissioners and Community leaders from all over Broward County will lead the ceremony to
“Blow the Whistle on Childhood Obesity” at the following locations 10 a.m.- 2 p.m.
· Greater Hollywood YMCA 3161 Taft Street, Hollywood, Florida 33021
· Parkland YMCA Family Center, 10559 Trails End, Parkland, FL 333076
· Pembroke Pines YMCA Family Center, 501 SW 172nd Ave., Pembroke Pines, FL 33029
· L.A. Lee YMCA, 408 NW 14th Terrace, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
· Lauderhill Community YMCA, 1901 NW 49th Ave., Lauderhill, FL 33313
· Weston YMCA, 20201 Saddle Club Road, Weston, FL
CHILDHOOD OBESITY STATISTICS:
· Kids are less physically active and engaged in learning during the summer months. In fact, research shows that children gain weight two to three times faster during the summer vacation than during the school year.
· In addition, kids, particularly from low-income families, fall behind academically because they don’t have access to out-of-school learning opportunities. In fact, by fifth grade, low-income kids are two to three school years behind middle-income children.